Monday, February 6, 2012

We Have A Right To Swear On The Internet

    In a technologically advanced age such as the one we now experience, the flashy new gadgets always intrigue us. We are just now however realizing the subtleties of this technology, its effect on our kids, and what that means. Since the popularization of the internet, it has largely been a free domain where pretty much anything goes granted it doesn’t involve illegal activities (and even that is hard to stop with torrenting and online piracy). In 1996, the United States Supreme Court upheld the Communications Decency Act, a law that would censor and give control of the government to prevent “indecent” or “partly offensive” material from reaching our children. Of course, when you want something done say it’s for the children. In a landmark ruling, the bill was shot down and citizen’s rights to free speech were protected on the internet in the same manner that they are protected in print, television, and radio. Where does this leave us? Well we have liberties that are for the most part being protected but there are people out there who want us to be blindly obeying, people who want to suppress our rights to free speech and mass communication.
     The next issue we face is technologies growing impact on our kids. Not necessarily lewd material but when just about every family has access to the internet and cell phones are available to kids younger and younger all the time, they are going to be exposed to things that they shouldn’t be. Profanity in particular is a staple of the internet. While what we say is protected by our freedom of speech it has an effect on our society. With Facebook and the rise of social media into daily life, it is easier than ever to contact people and talk about yourself relentlessly. Issues over cyber bullying and profane language have in late been dealt with by schools. Students who attend the same school have gotten into trouble over things they’ve said online by their administration. Where does the hand of government end? Unless the negative messages and whatnot occurs during school hours AT school, what right does the school have to intervene. It is not their responsibility nor their right to regulate what goes on beyond their direct authority. In several court cases involving students voicing their opinion about teachers and other classmates, kids have been suspended from school and have faced other consequences issued by the administration. In most if not all of these cases the students whom did not post anything threatening or violent have had the schools decisions reversed and in some cases the students have been monetarily compensated. We are kids but we still have rights like adults do when it comes to free speech and just because they are bigger than us or more influential does not give them the power to belittle and take away our fundamental liberties.
     My teacher won’t let us swear on the internet during our online activities. That is understandable to me but does this violate our rights? Does he really have the power to tell us that? Since when does simply writing a swear word especially in an online domain warrant a reaction from a teacher? I don’t know but I want to find out. It doesn’t really bother me that I can’t swear because I probably wouldn’t have anyway but I want to be able to if need be. Yes, he doesn’t want his twitter feed filled with profanity but other than stopping us from using internet in the classroom again, I don’t think the administration has any power over what we say. As a libertarian I like to exercise my rights every chance I get, partly to be a pain in the neck but mostly to show other people that they don’t have to be afraid of authority. Well, when the police are brutally attacking Occupy protesters you can never be too sure about the people “protecting” us but for the most part exercising your liberties is a healthy thing to do and even a responsibility. I don’t want to get into trouble with my school so I’m not going to swear online during class but when I’m outside of school I will say and do what I please. My conduct outside of school is not their responsibility, authority, or right to uphold.

4 comments:

  1. If you are outside school, is it ok to swear on a paper you're going to turn into a teacher? Of course not. You are free to create your own twitter account and say and do what you please. But I assigned twitter for educational purposes. I hope you respect that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very thought provoking. Good blog as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mr. La, my point I suppose is that twitter and other social media can't be regulated by school. The accounts in use by students should only be held accountable if posts were made at school or during school hours. I just feel that if it was done outside of school that it would be your responsibility to un-follow them if you so choose then inform them that they would need to make a new account just for submitting assignments. I believe that even though I made my account for school, I don't need to abide by the same rules as I would a school run email address. While your class does use twitter often, you can't directly tie the two together like you could our email addresses. My point is that the only time twitter should be considered a homework assignment is during class, after that it is a students personal and social account. I sympathize with you not wanting to see profanity and negativity and I do respect what you brought up. I hope you too understand where I am coming from and that I'm simply stating my opinion on the topic, it is not personal. I just like to rant about stuff and debate

    ReplyDelete
  4. I assigned students to create a twitter account to follow me and to communicate with me. If students opt to use profanity on that account, they will deal with the consequences. Would students email me a profanity? Probably not. Hence students may not tweet me a profanity. Students are free to create their own twitter accounts that are not associated with me at any time.

    ReplyDelete